Fire guts entire street, render 58 homeless in Brooklyn explosion

The moment a Brooklyn home exploded early Wednesday, sending a gigantic fireball shooting across the street, was captured on shocking video.

According to the FDNY and the video clip, a three-story home on Vermont Street near Jamaica Avenue in Cypress Hills exploded at midnight, injuring six people, displacing dozens of residents, and sending debris flying.

Deputy Chief Patrick Sheridan of the FDNY told reporters on the site, “There was an explosion out the front.” “We were unable to conduct searches of the cellar and first floor of the original fire building because the first floor collapsed into the cellar.”

According to the FDNY, two homeowners were at home on an upper floor when the subterranean explosion shook their building. Both of them were able to get away on their own.

Officials reported that when firefighters arrived three minutes after the explosion, they discovered severe fire in the cellar, first, and second floors of the house.

According to cops, the fire had already spread to two buildings on either side of the structure where the fire started.

According to the FDNY, a separate building on Jamaica Avenue at Vermont Street, behind the one where the fire started, also caught fire.

Officials said the blaze quickly escalated to three alarms, bringing more than 33 units, including 138 firefighters and hazardous materials special teams.

According to the FDNY, two of the six injured were sent to Brookdale University Hospital Medical Center, while the other four rejected medical treatment.

According to the fire service, the explosion and subsequent fire put the entire block’s structural stability in jeopardy, forcing 54 people to flee their houses.

Read Also: Gov Zulum unveil empowerment package for Constituents in Borno

The American Red Cross and the NYC Office of Emergency Management are assisting those residents, according to the FDNY.

Later in the morning, the cause of the fire remained unknown, while FDNY sources suggested it was caused by a malfunctioning boiler connected to a gas line.

The National Grid described the blaze as “an active investigation” that is being led by the Fire Marshal, according to a statement released early Monday.

“We, along with all other emergency responders, have reacted and are working under the command of the fire department,” a spokesman said.

Dear Reader,
Every day, we strive to bring the most accurate, up-to-date, and complete information to our readers like you. It requires money to produce good journalism. We're asking for your help today to help us do more. Your contribution ensures that Metro Times can continue to provide good journalism to people all over the world.  Donate or sign up for as little as N1,000 to become a member. Learn more about our membership here

Bank transfers can be made to:
Union Bank Plc
Micnaij Media Ltd

Whatsapp: +234 701 162 0455

Leave a Reply